In this article, we will learn how to Unlock Motorola Bootloader Using ADB Fastboot. There are several instances where you would want to completely customize your Motorola device. But, in order to gain complete access to your device, you need to unlock the Bootloader.
Bear in mind, unlocked Bootloader is not a prerequisite if you want to root your smartphone or install any custom ROM, but at the same time, it prevents your device from soft/hard brick. Our recommendation would be, not the skip the step whatsoever. That is why we have curated this article on the best Motorola Bootloader unlock tool.
Also read: Download Mi Account Tool
What Exactly is a Bootloader?
In Layman’s terms, Bootloader can be best described as a program that runs every time you boot your smartphone. In fact, it is the very first command that the OS executes. It is somewhere similar to that of BIOS you would find your PC/laptop. There are several instances, where Bootloader can be deemed useful. For starters, with your smartphone running on multiple devices, it can decide which one to boot and whatnot.
Note: Unlocking Bootloader may void your device warranty.
Things to make sure before you unlock bootloader
- Make sure your device has at least 60% of battery or more.
- Download and install the Motorola USB Drivers on your PC.
- Download and install the Minimal ADB-FASTBOOT tool on your PC.
Download Tools and Drivers
How to Unlock Bootloader in Motorola Devices
In order to successfully unlock Bootloader in Motorola Devices, make sure to follow the steps down below:
- At first, you need to ‘Enable USB debugging on your Motorola device. In order to enable USB debugging, head over to your mobile settings and search for ‘About.’ Now, look for the option ‘Build Number’ and tap on it 7 times. Once successful, you will be prompted, ‘You are a developer now.’
- Now, you need to visit the mobile settings once again, and look for an extra option that appears as ‘Developer Options.’ Noe, simply click on it, and look for ‘USB debugging option’ and enable it. In fact, by far this a fairly easy process altogether.
- Now simply turn off your device and turn it back on to FASTBOOT mode. In order to access FASTBOOT, hold down your Power Key and Volume Down simultaneously. Noe, connect your smartphone to your PC.
- Extract the previously downloaded ADB-FASTBOOT zip file, and keep it. You can also rename the folder to ‘adb-fastboot’ in order to remember it.
- All you need to do is navigate to the folder and open it. Holding the ‘Shift; key on your keyboard, right-click on an open space. Choose ‘Open command window here’ in order to open the CMD prompt.
- Now, run the following command:
Running the command will check for all the connected devices with your PC.
- fastboot oem get unlock data
- Once you get a coded string as follows, make sure to copy them down to a notepad. Make sure that you remove any of the spaces between them. For example, the string would look something like this, on the notepad.
- Now, head over to Motorola website, and paste the coded string without any space. This, in turn, can assist you to check whether your device can be unlocked or not. Once you paste the string of data, simply click on ‘Can my device be unlocked?’
- You will find a unique 20 characters alphanumeric code, sent to you by Motorola over mail. So, check your mail to retrieve the unique key.
- Once again, head over to the command prompt and run the following command.
fastboot oem unlock YOURKEY
As for the YOUR KEY part, simply replace it with your unique key.
- Once, the process is completed, you would be prompted with ‘Phone is unlocked successfully.’ Now, your device is completely unlocked.
Also read: How to Remotely Control Android Devices
The Bottom Line
So, that sums up our article on Motorola Bootloader unlock tool. Now, that you have successfully unlocked the Bootloader, simply choose any Root Checker app from the Play Store to check the status. Not only that, but you can also root your Motorola smartphone and install Custom ROM, without worrying about bricking the device.